Saturday, February 14, 2009

random thoughts for valentine's day, 2004

"no one can do me any good by loving me; i have more love than i need or could do any good with; but people do me good by making me love them--which isn't easy." /john ruskin
--


here is the original script for eternal sunshine of the spotless mind, written by charlie kaufman.

CLEMENTINE
Have you ever read any Anna Akhmatova?

JOEL
I love her.

CLEMENTINE
Really? Me, too! I don't meet people who even know who she is and I work in a book store.

JOEL
I think she's great.

CLEMENTINE
Me too. There's this poem --

JOEL
Did this conversation come before or after we saw the house?

CLEMENTINE
I think, before.

JOEL
Seems too coincidental that way.

CLEMENTINE
Yeah, maybe.

Joel and Clementine wander near some beach houses closed for the winter.

CLEMENTINE (CONT'D)
Do you know her poem that starts "Seaside gusts of wind,/And a house in which we don't live...

JOEL
Yeah, yeah. It goes "Perhaps there is someone in this world to whom I could send all these lines"?

CLEMENTINE
Yes! I love that poem. It breaks my heart. I'm so excited you know it.
(pointing to houses) Look, houses in which we don't live.

Joel chuckles appreciatively.
--

--
the times explores the art institute of chicago's edvard munch exhibit:



Most of Munch’s figures are not mad, but paralyzed by oceanic feelings of grief, jealousy, desire or despair that many people found shocking either for their eroticism, crude style or intimations of mental instability. We see his subjects alone, in couples or small groups in settings whose opulent colors and odd forms, whether indoors or out, are always removed from reality, located in some artificial, stripped down place where color, feeling and form resonate in visual echo chambers.
--
for centuries, flowers have carried coded messages. a dark rose, for instance, symbolized bashful shame; a foxglove, deceit. but the rules of love have shifted, and our floriography needs modernizing as well. jason logan illustrates some updated meanings for the flowers you'll be sending (or receiving) on valentine's day.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
i don't like it--i love it. if i don't love it, i don't swallow.