Friday, February 6, 2009

mini morning mix

"we die many times, and each new infancy is a surprise that i have the tendency to look over when it suits me, and decry when not--when i am sailing, or when things go well." /will oldham, disorder
--
a mix, for me, constitutes about eight songs or more. even if each song is ten minutes long, a mix that comprises seven songs or less is just an amuse-bouche for me, most of the time. full-length mixes tell stories, and every nuance in a song is a different habit literally playing itself out through music. mini mixes are generally more indicative of a specific emotion or event that's ephemeral in nature. here is something i threw together since will oldham's "the way i am" came on my shuffled playlist yesterday and got me in a lil' mood.



1. dr. jones - gris gris gumbo ya ya
2. seasick steve - salem blues
3. bonnie 'prince' billy - the way i am
4. old man luedecke - at the airport
5. the tallest man on earth - the gardner
6. elliott smith - all my rowdy friends have settled down (hank williams, jr. cover)
7. devendra banhart - now that i know

enjoy this video of seasick steve performing "walking man" in nigel's basement:

2 comments:

alstr said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
alstr said...

I like your site, and I'd like to point you towards my band's album. It's at:

http://www.grandnationalchampionships.com/GNC008.html

Thanks
Alastair

About Me

My photo
i don't like it--i love it. if i don't love it, i don't swallow.